6.29.2008

heart murmur

so on monday night, i noticed that my heart rhythm was a little off, like skipping a beat and then beating 2 really fast and then beating 3 or 4 times normally, repeat. this isn't that unusual for me, so i didn't worry about it. it usually only happens once every couple months and then goes away after like a minute. so i went to bed but the tuesday morning, it was still there. so i was like "brandan, you gotta feel my pulse!" and he did and was like, "that's not normal." so i called ask-a-nurse (step 2 if i can't figure out what's wrong with me on webmd) and i talked to like 4 nurses and finally the last one was like "you need to go to the er." so brandan took me in to the er and they took a bunch of blood and gave me an iv and did an ekg test and finally the doctor came in and told me i have a heart murmur, which isn't uncommon in women. i've probably had it my whole life and most people who have them have nothing to worry about. regardless, he wants me to see a cardiologist just to be sure it is nothing serious. those who have serious ones usually have to have one of the valves in their hearts replaced with a pig or cow heart valve. anyways i am going to the cardiologist in july. i am kind of excited because the doctor said he will probably do an ultrasound on my heart which seems like it might be kind of interesting.

1 comments:

dan said...

I already commented on the Hawkley, but yeah, the ultrasound does sound interesting.
When I had my crazy episode the doctors thought I might have a brain tumor so I had an MRI and it was pretty cool to see the pics of my brain.